women, children killed in one of deadliest attacks in myanmar
In one of the deadliest attacks on civilians in Myanmar since the return of military rule, many women and children lost their lives. The tragic incident has shocked the world.
At least 29 individuals were killed in an artillery strike at a refugee camp for displaced people near Myanmar’s border with the People’s Republic of China. In a huge blow to human rights, women and children were among 29 killed.
What happened at the camp?
An artillery strike took place on Monday in Kachin State in Myanmar. Subsequently, the artillery hit the camp, which is located near the military camp of the Kachin Independence Army (KIA).
A spokesman for the KIA said that 29 civilians were killed. Kachin media outlets said that the military was behind the attack.
KIA has been fighting the country’s ruling military Junta since a 2021 military coup. KIA wanted to undermine military rule that displaced the country’s government.
The National Unity Government (NUG) blamed the military Junta for killing civilians. The National Unity Government (NUG) described the incident as a “war crime and crime against humanity.”
NUG spokesperson Kyaw Zaw said, “This act of military council is a war crime.” Kyaw Zaw also condemned the attack on civilians, especially women and children.
Khon Ja, a local activist with the Kachin Peace Network Civil society group, said that 29 people were killed and 59 people were injured. She said, “The bomb was too strong and the village was totally destroyed and disappeared.”
Conflict in Myanmar
Last month, a drone attack on a police headquarters in eastern Myanmar killed at least five officials. Federal Wings, a resistance group that conducts drone warfare in cooperation with the People’s Defense Force, were responsible for the attack.
In August, at least 157 people were killed in one of the deadliest attacks by the military. In April, another tragic incident shocked the nation. More than 100 people were killed in an attack. The attack targeted a village in the north-western Sagaing region. The spokesman for the military junta, General Zaw Min Tun, took responsibility for the attack.