hotel workers in la, orange counties to get better pay and facilities
Last updated on December 18th, 2023 at 06:32 am
Let us tell you what’s happening with hotel workers in Los Angeles and Orange counties. Recently, over 1,700 workers like housekeepers, cooks, dishwashers, servers, and front desk staff have agreed to a new deal.
This deal is with big hotel companies like Marriott and Hilton. These workers are part of a union called Unite Here Local 11.
There’s been a big disagreement about work conditions for a long time. Because of this, workers at these hotels stopped working sometimes, which is called a strike. They did this to make their voices heard.
Now, they’ve reached a new agreement, which means they’ve made a deal that both sides are okay with. This deal includes some really good things for workers:
- Better Pay: Workers will get more money. This is important because living costs, especially for housing, are really high.
- Good Health Care: They will have health care that they can afford and that’s really good for them and their families.
- Fair Workloads: The amount of work they have to do will be reasonable, and they’ll have enough people to do the work safely.
- Better Pensions: Their pensions, which are money they get after they retire, will be better.
- New Rules for Equality: There are new rules to help people who were in jail before and immigrants get good jobs at these hotels.
But, there are still some issues. Another hotel company, Aimbridge Hospitality, hasn’t agreed to these new standards. Because of this, workers at a hotel they run, the Sheraton Park Anaheim, stopped working, and more might do the same soon.
The union’s leaders are saying that if big companies like Marriott and Hilton can agree to make things better for their workers, other hotel companies should do the same.
Workers at many big hotels have a better deal now, but some are still fighting for it. This is a big step for workers in some major cities, and it shows when people work together, they can make big changes.